In a perfect world, any Hash kennel will have sufficient volunteers to fill all of the following positions, and they would be eminently capable of performing all roles to the highest standards.
But we don't live in a perfect world, of course, so these guidelines are simply designed to help point our enthusiastic volunteers in the right direction...
Grand Master 1. Mentor and/or advise Mismanagement in general as they address and/or work through various projects or tasks.
2. Maintain close communication with at least Hares, Bus Captain and Beermeister to ensure each run will operate with maximum efficiency.
3. Convene Mismanagement meetings as issues require (but NOT regular meetings just for the sake of having meetings!); ensure the venue and timings are acceptable to most if not all - except in the case of urgent "War Council" meetings that can't wait, in which case all active Mismanagement members should be given a copy of the issues for discussion and invited to vote or lodge a proxy.
4. Manage and/or participate in Circles and Down Downs at own discretion (noting Ringmaster support).
5. Liaise with relevant Mismanagement volunteers to ensure dissemination of appropriate information from time to time (by word of mouth, newsletters, online, etc) to ensure all members understand the nature of VTH3 and its family and community-oriented values.
6. Arrange and/or manage all sponsorships and sponsor-related activity (contracts, compliance, etc).
7. Interact with external parties, eg media, civic authorities, general public, etc as VTH3's "public face".
Ringmaster 1. Take charge of Circles and Down Downs in conjunction with Grand Master - including Hash songs.
2. Liaise with Hash Cash, On Sec/Scribe and/or Religious Advisor for names of those Virgins, Visitors, Hares, Sinners, etc to be called out for Down Downs, as well as details of the "sins" involved.
3. Defer to Grand Master for the last word before finalising Down Downs.
Religious Advisor 1. Ensure sufficient drinks available at the Circle before Down Down segment begins.
2. Liaise with Hash Cash and/or Scribe/On Sec for names of those Virgins, Visitors, Hares, Sinners, etc to be called out for Down Downs, as well as details of the "sins" involved.
3. Maintain a close watch before, during and after each run for behaviour to be recognised and/or penalised, eg wearing of non-Hash shoes, wearing of new shoes, "sex" on the Hash, "no sex" on the Hash(!), relieving oneself on the Hash, silent running, not using Hashtags, prematurely opening the ice-box, etc.
4. Support Grand Master and/or Ringmaster with relevant Hash songs from time to time.
On Sec 1. Work closely with Scribe and Hash Geek (sometimes one person will fill some or all of these positions).
2. Maintain and manage membership database in conjunction with Hash Cash, especially email listings.
3. If anyone feels they have a valid reason to access the vthash email account and/or website, they should contact On Sec or Grand Master for the access codes (either or both of whom should keep a register of people who know the codes - this is an important precaution to help identify someone who may misuse information in the database).
4. Always use "bcc" facility when sending broadcast emails. "Manage the membership database" includes safeguarding everyone's privacy by not divulging individual email addresses to anyone without the owner's permission, except only for unusual circumstances where you feel the situation justifies such a release. If anyone asks for another person's email address, you should generally contact the person being sought and ask if it's OK to give their address to the requestor.
6. Respond to external inquiries, having recourse to Grand Master and/or Mismanagement as necessary.
7. Report any correspondence other than general inquiries to the Grand Master and/or Mismanagement as required (non-urgent correspondence can be tabled at the next Mismanagement meeting and/or discussed informally in the interim).
Hash Cash 1. Work closely with On Sec and Scribe to decide who will register weekly names, collect run fees, pay bills and reimburse authorised office bearers for money spent (eg Hares, Hash Crash, Hash Cook, etc).
2. Maintain a comprehensive list of all income and expenditure and make available to Mismanagement as required, but at least for tabling at each Mismanagement meeting. Such a list should be accompanied by receipts for all amounts in excess of that authorised (usually 200k VND).
3. Before approving expenditure, discuss likely cost and/or quotes with the relevant office bearer (we have previous T-shirts, bus hire, food/drink, etc receipts that can be used for comparison before authorising any new expenditure on such items).
Scribe 1. Write, edit and/or collate weekly run reports and work with On Sec, Hash Geek and Hash Flash to ensure dissemination by email and/or http://www.vungtauhash.com website.
2. Resist all temptation to write, produce and/or publish anything in run reports and/or http://www.vungtauhash.com that could cause embarrassment to any member - regardless of how "funny" it might seem at the time! Photos and comments published on the internet can never be "unpublished"!
Hash Flash 1. Take photos of groups and individuals participating in all VTH3 activities including weekly runs.
2. Edit all photos before publication to ensure no member is likely to be embarrassed and/or "compromised" now or in the future. If in doubt, consult Grand Master and Hon Sec (and see para 2. in "Scribe" above)!
3. Work closely with On Sec, Scribe and Hash Geek to ensure photos are available for publication in the appropriate size and format as required.
4. Work closely with Grand Master, On Sec, Scribe and Hash Geek to ensure group photos of "special events" are published with relevant sponsor logo/s and/or banner/s.
Hash Geek 1. Purchase appropriate URL and website host in conjunction with Mismanagement.
2. Plan the site layout including page names, sub-menus, etc.
3. Research all file photos and upload those considered appropriate for various pages on the site.
4. Liaise closely with Hon Sec, Scribe and Hash Flash to gather all ongoing information and photos for dissemination via http://www.vungtauhash.com and to ensure no conflict with communication being disseminated via email, Circle briefings, etc.
5. Liaise with Mismanagement and Hare/s as required to keep site up to date, including NEXT RUN box.
Hare Raiser 1. Regularly call for volunteers to set trails - particularly "away" trails.
2. Maintain a list of upcoming runs and Hares (the "Hareline").
3. Ensure replacement Hares are available if someone pulls out at the last minute.
4. Train and/or mentor Virgin Hares (see "To be a Hare").
Medic 1. Manage the purchase, content and replacement content as required of VTH3 First Aid Kit.
2. Supervise carriage and use of first aid kit, usually in conjunction with Hare/s.
3. In conjunction with Hash Cash and/or Hare/s, ensure at least 100k VND in cash is available on each run to pay for emergency evacuation by locals.
4. In such cases, accompany injured party to relevant medical facility and arrange treatment as required.
5. Ensure first aid kit safely stored after each run and replenishments purchased if necessary.
Bus Captain ("Hash Crash") 1. Work closely with Hares and Hash Cash to ensure relevant transport is hired as required (especially "away" runs, but sometimes also local if long distance to start point). "Relevant" means taxi/s, minibus, 29 or 45-seater, etc according to estimated number of Hashers (including eskies, blue equipment bin, etc).
2. Bus bookings should be made on the Monday, if possible, before the Sunday that the bus is required. The size can usually be altered later in the week if necessary, but early bookings are essential before periods of high demand such as public holidays, etc - but which often also include otherwise "normal" weekends in Vung Tau because of the high influx of tourists from Ho Chi Minh City.
3. Deposit should be paid if/as requested by bus hire company, having first received expenditure approval from Hash Cash.
4. Remainder should be paid as requested by bus hire company - usually to the driver on the day of use, immediately after use. Tip the driver at your discretion, but only with Hash Cash's prior approval.
5. Liaise with driver to ensure he/she goes the right way and adheres to the rules of the road (especially talking on the phone, periodic vehicle maintenance, etc).
6. Ensure everything is loaded onto the bus before departure from start point, and again for homeward journey.
7. Ensure nothing is left on the bus after return to Vung Tau - including personal belongings, food, sick bags, and/or empty cans or bottles.
8. Provide bus-hire receipt to Hash Cash after final payment has been made.
Beermeister 1. Liaise with sponsor's representative (usually the local delivery agent) to ensure guidelines for supply of beer are fulfilled.
2. Provided there is safe storage available, liaise with sponsor's agent for beer to be collected or delivered in monthly increments before the 1st Sunday of each month as outlined in the sponsorship agreement.
3. Ensure beer safely stored between runs.
4. Liaise with Host venue caretaker re cleaning and general upkeep of the ice-boxes owned by VTH3 from time to time. Inform On Sec if ice-box/es require replacement (On Sec will convey the information to SMBVL under terms of sponsorship agreement).
5. Monitor stocks and arrange for purchase of additional beer and/or sufficient soft drink and bottled water for each run (discuss run with Hares and indication of numbers attending with On Sec/Scribe to help determine stocks required).
6. Order/purchase "small ice" (not the larger blocks used by restaurants) each week as required - having received prior authority for such expenditure from Hash Cash.
7. Ensure all empties are disposed of thoughtfully (and definitely NOT left on the bus!).
8. Liaise with Hares to ensure all unused beer, water and soft drink counted and safely stored after each run.
9. Give stocktake numbers to Hash Cash for the next Hash Cash Report.
Haberdasher 1. Liaise closely with Grand Master and On Sec to ensure timely supply of T-shirts and other merchandise as required from time to time.
2. Maintain a register of at least two T-shirt/merchandise manufacturers, artwork designers and printers and always compare quotes and known performance and supplied quality levels before awarding new work.
3. Ensure all goods are manufactured to an acceptable quality (the 500th, 20 years, 600th run and especially "700 runs" T-shirts can be used as an example of fabric quality and style, ie wide-mesh breathable "aertex" cotton with loose-rim collars and wide, cuffless sleeves).
4. Maintain a list of T-shirt sizes in Vietnamese and European measurements (available from all reputable manufacturers).
5. Maintain and update from time to time a list of T-shirt quantities (by size) likely to be required by VTH3 members: the numbers and sizes for the most recent ("700 runs") T-shirts can be used as a starting point, remembering to compensate between "VN" and "Western" sizes.
Hash Cook 1. Liaise with Grand Master and Hares to ensure sufficient food available after each run as agreed.
2. Get quotes and seek authorisation for expenditure from Hash Cash before purchasing any food.
3. Arrange appropriate disposal of any leftover food, either at the Down Down location or upon return to Vung Tau - but definitely NO food to be left on the bus, or additional cleaning fees may be incurred.
KGB 1. Liaise with Grand Master, On Sec, Scribe and/or Hares to ensure you understand any messages they're trying to communicate with VTH3, and then ensure the non-English speaking Russian community are fully aware of such messages - either via mouth to mouth communication or email.
2. Convey any messages from the non-English speaking Russian community to Grand Master, On Sec, Scribe and/or Hares as necessary to ensure full understanding by all.
Thanh Nien Tinh Nguyen - "TNTN" (VN: tourist police) 1. Liaise with Grand Master, On Sec, Scribe and/or Hares to ensure you understand any messages they're trying to communicate with VTH3, and then ensure the non-English speaking Vietnamese community are fully aware of such messages - either via mouth to mouth communication or email.
2. Convey any messages from the non-English speaking Vietnamese community to Grand Master, On Sec, Scribe and/or Hares as necessary to ensure full understanding by all.